Saturday, March 5, 2011

Herbal Ally Challenge # 6 / Dandelion Root Tincture

I've been really busy the last week or 2 , we're having an early Spring , so there's plenty to do around here. However I did take time this week to work with my herbal ally. I did the drawing a couple of weeks ago , but never posted it. I'll be adding it to my journal , Dandelions are so bright and cheery , can't believe so many people consider them a weed. Speaking of weed ..................................


I ordered Susun Weed's , Healing Wise and Breast Health books a few weeks ago. I'm so grateful that I finally have these books in my herbal library. I've been planning to order the 2 books , it was the perfect time and excuse since I needed them for my herbal study. So I've been reading about Dandelion and tincturing in the " Healing Wise " book.


I strained my Dandelion blossom vinegar yesterday and made the Dandelion root tincture. The vinegar is a beautiful golden color , I took it outside to take a picture so you could see the true color. I couldn't really taste the flavor of the Dandelion , it tasted just like apple cider vinegar to me. But it looks better (LOL) and I know the healing magic is in there. I made the tincture with 100 proof vodka because I had it on hand. I've always made tinctures the Susun Weed way. I plan to try a different type alcohol the next time I make tincture.


Sorry for this awful photo , but I can't believe how big the Dandelion
have grown already this year. So I harvested a bowl of leaves and made .......



this Dandelion pasta dish for lunch Thursday. It was sooo good !

~ Dandelion Blessings ~
JoyceAnn

9 comments:

karisma said...

Oh I LOVE your drawing! Its beautiful! I have a back yard full of dandelion at the moment too. Im not quite sure what to do with it all! The pasta looks yummy!

JoyceAnn said...

Thanks Karisma ! Cook those dandelions and make some dandelion vinegar , enjoy those greens.

~ Dandelion Blessings ~

tansy said...

very nice! healing wise is one of my favorite books. i love the personification of each plant, it really helped me get to know them better.

that pasta looks delicious, looks like you are having a lot of fun incorporating dandelion into your life!

i love the drawing too. very good impression of dandelion. <3

AkasaWolfSong said...

Dandelion is just beginning to poke its head up around here JoyceAnn. I did hear a Robin singing this week to but for the life of me cannot spot it yet. I did hear the flocks are beginning to come back though.
Your tincture looks wonderful and I'm envious your books, lol! I think your drawing is soooo beautiful too! I can't wait to have some nice greens for supper!
Wishing for you a relaxed and peacefilled Sunday...May Joy rest upon your 'be'ing!
xoxoxo

Flassie's Fil'a said...

Lovely beautiful drawing and
altered photo!!

The books look very interesting!

I notice my dandelion vinegar
so far is mild in flavor.
The cleavers is more strong.
My nettle was a bit different.

Had a wild greens soup today.
The dandelion pasta looks really
delicious!

God Bless You and Yours!!!

JoyceAnn said...

Thanks , Tansy !

Hi Wolfsong ~ We're having a very early Spring and I'm enjoying the early arrival of so many herbs. I cooked some bittercress Friday , it was delicious too.

Hi Flassie ~ The cleavers are starting to rear their little heads , hope to do a little more research about them this year. Are you finished moving yet ?

~ Many Blessings ~

Plantain said...

WOW! Your drawing is beautiful and the pasta. mmmm.

Flassie's Fil'a said...

No not yet. Just preparing to move and do not yet know where I will end up.

God Bless You and Yours!!!

JoyceAnn said...

Hi Flassie ~ I hope everything works out for you , will keep you in my prayers.


~ Be Blessed ~