Monday, March 28, 2011

Downy Rattlesnake Plantain (Goodyera pubescens)


Last night I was on E-bay looking at plants , I would have never thought I would identify a wild plant there. But someone was selling " Downy Rattlesnake Plantain " and it looked like the plant I saw in the woods awhile back , it was described as an woodland plant. I wrote the name down and after leaving Ebay googled " Rattlesnake Plantain " and found lots of pics that confirmed the identification. This plant is also known as Adder's Violet and Rattlesnake Orchid , it produces a stalk of beautiful white blossoms.

Native Americans made a tea from the roots to treat pleurisy and snakebites. Doctors used the leaves soaked in milk as a poultice for tuberculous swelling of the lymph nodes , scrofula. The leaf poultice has also been used for burns and skin ulcers. A tea made from the leaves and a little whiskey was taken to improve appetite , treat common colds , toothaches and kidney ailments.

The plant is considered rare and should not be harvested. I plan to watch it closely , would love to see the blooms. It blooms in the summer , but will probably bloom earlier this year because of the weather.


~ Green Blessings ~

JoyceAnn

5 comments:

AkasaWolfSong said...

I'm not sure if it is indigenous to our area here but I will keep my eyes peeled. I've seen just green plantain in my yard and in the woods but not this little beauty!

Thanks for the info JoyceAnn!
Have a wonderful Thursday! :)

earthangelsarts said...

I've never seen this plantain before. Super healer!

Wonderful blogpage, thank you for sharing your wisdom. XX

Flassie's Fil'a said...

Glad you found out what it was.

Funny the source of id was ebay.

God Bless You and Yours!!!

Emi Brade said...

No worries, and great blog! I love the dandelion post. I feed the leaves from the dandelions in our orange grove but now I'll be eating the myself too ;)

Comfrey Cottages said...

that is so cool you found the rare plant Joyce! what a thrill!! xx