Tuesday, February 16, 2010

~ Mother of Vinegar ~


Leslie over at ~ http://comfreycottages.blogspot.com/2010/02/making-homemade-vinegar-and-mothers.html ~ blogged about making vinegar last week. I accidentally made red wine vinegar a couple of years ago. I made a few batches of wine from some grapes a friend had given me , the first few batches of wine did well , but the last gallon fermented into vinegar. The pic above shows the " Mother " that developed , the vinegar was very strong tasting but has mellowed out over time. I've been thinking about it and believe it may have fermented to vinegar for two reasons , sugar content and letting it work to long. I was making what is called " Prison Wine " ( LOL) , very cheap and easy to make , you add 6 cups of sugar to a gallon jar , fill with grapes and add water. You can google prison wine if you're interested in the details of making it. After the first few batches , I decided I would try to make it with less sugar. I don't like a sweet wine , so I added 5 cups to 1 gallon and 4 cups to another. The last gallon with 4 cups is the one that fermented to vinegar , the gallon with 5 cups of sugar did wonderful. I didn't add any yeast to my wine or mother starter to the gallon that turned to vinegar. The last two gallons did ferment longer than it should have , so that and the sugar level probably caused it to develop a "Mother". At the time I had never heard tell of a vinegar "Mother " , but I did a google search to see if wine would become vinegar , since it smelled just like vinegar. I found a wealth of information , including all the health benefits from vinegar. I also found out that vinegar was known as a natural by product of wine , the name is derived from the french word " vin aigre " meaning sour wine (LOL) . Who would have thought sour wine would be so good for you , so I've been using the vinegar and it taste great now that it has aged some. I hope to make some different kinds of vinegars from the " Mother of Vinegar " , she's not very pretty and actually slimy , but she's waiting to help me make more vinegar. The link below tells you how you make red wine vinegar and some of the health benefits it has.



More Information can be found here ........ http://www.answers.com/topic/vinegar and if you want to make apple cider vinegar , here's a link that tells you how ....... http://www.apple-cider-vinegar-benefits.com/vinegar-making.html.


~ Natural Blessings ~

JoyceAnn

3 comments:

Comfrey Cottages said...

that is so cool you got an accidental mother! lol believe me, i didn't know there was such a thing about a mother this and mother that until recent time!lol nice links and i just don't have time to do more than just store the info for now. up to my eyeballs in kids and sick kittys! yikes! talk to you soon:)

Flassie's Fil'a said...

At least you were able to get something out of it without throwing it away. So funny
the name.

Thanks for sharing the links!!

God Bless You and Yours!!!

Flassie's Fil'a said...

PS. Can not remember if you had a link to Pine Needle Vinegar or it was a link I found through a link to someone else blog on yours or was I dreaming? lol!

I thought it was suppose to taste better than Basalmic vinegar too.

God Bless You and Yours!!!