Monday, June 22, 2009

~ The Beautiful DayLily ~

Daylilies have always been one of my favorite flowers , I think they're so beautiful. The daylily is native to Asia and was brought here as an ornamental. In Asia , the roots are sold at the food markets. All parts of the daylily are edible , you can eat the tubers , young shoots , flower buds and the flower itself. I've been doing some research on edible daylilies , you can boil the tubers for 5-10 minutes and add a little butter , I've read they taste like water chestnuts , I plan to try some one day. Check-out the blog entry below , it has a photo of an edible bouquet , a daylily is featured in the center of the beautiful bouquet ~ ~.

~ Green Blessings ~


Flassie's Fil'a said...

I didn't know that. We really
all do need to learn more about
plants. If we would maybe people
would not go without.

I left a message down at the
Elderberry blog entry you made.

I got some books from the library.

One thing I notice about Herbal, Wild food books is that they do
not show really good photos of all the plants. I'd like to find one that does. I think that is so important. The drawings in a Readers Digest book on plants and animals is better than the drawings in some of these herbels books I got from the library.

There is one that has lots
of photos in it called,
The Forager's Harvest.

Even though some of the books
I got at the Library do not have
photos of the plants I did learn
about the Poisonous Elderberry.
But wish they had a photo of them.

Now I wonder if the two down the street are poisonous. I picked some of the flowers the other day.
Love the smell but didn't use them.
I want to make sure I know all there is to know b/4 I use any
of these weeds/herbs/wild foods.

God Bless You and Yours!!!

DancingFire said...

We have so many of them here in Maine growing along the roadsides.
We call these particular ones Tiger Lillies.While most parts of the plant are edible for humans, the pollen is considered poisonous. All parts of the plant are toxic to cats, resulting in kidney failure in a few days after eating it.
I have a plant blog you might enjoy.I only have one follower so far but I expect people haven't happened upon it yet.It is full of If you would like to run over and check it out.Lovely blogspot you have here.