Sunday, March 13, 2011

Let's take a Walk on the Wild Herb Side .........................


Awww ... It's not officially Spring , but all the plants are emerging and I'm loving every minute of watching and waiting for their fruits. I found Cleavers peeking out from long ago fallen leaves ..............


And this beautiful patch of Wild Ginger has emerged in my front yard next to an old oak tree. I've never used Wild Ginger , but I think she's speaking to me. Guess I should learn more about her.



The Hairy Bittercress is flowering. I've eaten it a few times in the last 2 weeks , I've enjoyed the flavor raw or cooked.


Chickweed always makes me happy with it's beautiful green color , we had a wild tossed salad last night for supper ......... lots of Chickweed , Dandelion , Hairy Bittercress , Violet leaves and Wild Onions .


On my herb walk I discovered this plant , I've never seen it growing here before. Can anyone identify it by the leaves , I'm going to watch it closely for blooms .............


Click on photos for a close view ...... Please leave me a comment if you know what it is.



Oops ........... More Cleavers


The Purple Dead Nettle has emerged and bloomed. I did find an explanation as to why it is called " Purple Dead Nettle " , it's in the nettle family and since it doesn't sting , it's called dead nettle.



The wild onions have popped up everywhere , I have plans to harvest some this week. I'll be dehydrating them , they're delicious dried , they gain a sweet taste.


The Yellow Dock looks wonderful , I'm planning to try some cooked soon. I've never cooked it , but I have made Yellow Dock root tincture. Speaking of all the things I want to try or do , it's time to make a new " to do list ". It's very easy to get sidetracked this time of year , maybe a list will help me stay focused on my plans.


The Violets have jumped up , can't wait to see those beautiful little flowers appear , need to add Violet syrup to that list I mentioned (LOL).
~ Green Blessings ~
JoyceAnn

5 comments:

Flassie's Fil'a said...

Is it the darker plant you want to id? Is the smaller lighter green plant chick weed?

I think I finally found a chickweed plant but it wasn't growing anywhere near me. By the time I got it home it dried up. I put it in water and it purked up. I might plant the little I picked of it and see if it takes off. Does it have tiny leaves? Or do they get bigger as they grow more?
Can you eat the blossoms also?

We have dead nettle blooming. Can you cook it like nettles? Or is it just a pot herb and tea? Guess I should study it more.

How about the Bittercress? Can you eat the blossoms as well as the leaves?

I had dandelion greens for lunch along with fried apple rings, onion rings, and hash browns.

You know already cleavers is one of my favorite teas besides whitle pine needle tea. I like cold cleaver infusion also.

God Bless You and Yours!!!

JoyceAnn said...

Hi Flassie ~ Yes , it's the darker plant I need to i.d. , it has the dissected leaves.

Chickweed is a light shade of green , the leaves are small oval shaped with a slight point and it spreads near the ground. It wilts fast , adding water will perk it up. Yes , you can eat the white blooms.

I'm not sure about cooking dead nettle , I need to read more about it. I made tea with it last year.

I've never tried cleavers tea or cooked cleavers , actually I've never used it at all. I plan to try the tea this week and cook some too. Have you tried it cooked.

The Dandelion greens and fried apple rings sound yummo !


~ Green Blessings ~

Flassie's Fil'a said...

I don't think I tried it cooked.
I've put it in stock. I should
try it out.

God Bless You and Yours!!!

Comfrey Cottages said...

oh i just love this pictorial herb walk Joyce Ann!!xx

Anonymous said...

I saw so many testimonies about Dr Itua a great HERBAL DOCTOR that can cure all kind of diseases and give you the rightful health to live a joyful life, I didn't believe it at first, but as the pain got worse and my life was at risk after visiting my therapist numerous times for combination of treatments. And no changes so I decided to take a try, I contacted him also and told him I want a cure for Vulvar cancer/ Testicular cancer and it was Stage IIIA, he gave me advice on what I must do and he delivered it to me in my state which I use according to his instruction, and today I must say I am so grateful to this man Dr Itua for curing me from Vulvar cancer/ Testicular cancer and for restoring me back to my normal health and a sound life, I am making this known to everyone out there who have been living with cancers all his life or any sick person should not waste more time just contact him with his details below- WhatsApp- +2348149277967 Email drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com believe me this man is a good man with Godly heart, this is the real secret we all have been searching for. Do not waste more time contacting him today for you to also live a sound and happy life. He cures the following disease, thyroid Cancer, Uterine cancer, Fibroid, Arthritis, Brain Tumor,Fibromyalgia, Bladder cancer, Brain cancer, HIV, Herpes, Esophageal cancer, Gallbladder cancer, Gestational trophoblastic disease, Head and neck cancer, Hodgkin lymphoma Intestinal cancer, Kidney cancer,Hpv, Lung cancer, Melanoma,Mesothelioma, Multiple myeloma,Neuroendocrine tumors Non-Hodgkin lymphoma, Oral cancer, Ovarian cancer, Sinus cancer, Hepatitis A, B/C, Skin cancer, Soft tissue sarcoma, Stroke, Lupus, Spinal cancer, Stomach cancer, Vaginal cancer,Vulvar cancer, Testicular cancer,Tach Diseases, Pancreatic Cancer, Leukemia, Liver cancer, Throat cancer, Alzheimer's disease, Chronic Diarrhea,Copd, Parkinson,Als,Adrenocortical carcinoma Infectious mononucleosis.